The wait is over.
After what seemed like an eternity to many who had been longing for an update, it arrived minutes after midnight tonight. When it comes to the beat music, the community, it rolls in step, in tandem, in parallel with this unit. Though there had been many versions of the MPC since the MPC 60, one thing was certain - Akai had created a biblical following for the flagship unit, the one that set the bar for production devices with the nearest competitor a distant 2nd. Akai had a total choke hold of the hip hop community, and even some house prodcuers were messing w/ it. Damn. Some like DJ Spinna and the late J Dilla swore by the MPC 3000. Many others like Exile and Black Milk cut their teeth on the 2000. Onra worked his magic on the 1000 and Jamie XX did work on the 500. There were the 2500 and the 5000, but many waited for what they felt was a refresh, a reboot, a Renaissance, and it came tonight.
The MPC Renaissance
I'll get right to the specs and let you chew on 'em .
• Fuses legendary MPC production with the processing power of your computer
• Vintage Mode changes output sound character to MPC3000, MPC60 and more
• 16 backlit genuine MPC pads, 16 Q-Link controls, and adjustable backlit LCD screen
• Classic MPC Note Repeat, MPC Swing and MPC transport controls
• MPC SOFTWARE for Mac or PC with 64-track sequencing capability
• Two XLR-1/4” combo inputs and dedicated turntable input
• Four-channel US B 2.0 audio interface and two-port US B 2.0 hub built in
• Up to eight pad banks―more than any other MPC ever
• Two MIDI inputs and four MIDI outputs
• Stereo 1/4” out, stereo assignable mix 1/4” out & S/PDIF I/O
• 64-track sequencing capability
• Massive 6GB+ sound library, including all of the sounds of the classic MPC3000
• Instant mapping and real-time adjustment of VST plug-ins
• Record each track as an MPC drum program, Keygroup program or VST plug-in
• Runs standalone and as VST, AU or RTAS plug-in
• Supports WAV, MP3, AIFF, REX and SND
• Supports samples and sequences from any MPC ever made
• Mac and PC-compatible
Here's the video featuring l'enfant terrible Araab Muzik.
And what would a good old product launch be like w/o a freebie?? Here's a nice zip file of 58 folders of vintage drums for all to mess with - in WAVs.
Download vintage drums.
Of course, if you want more info on The MPC Renaissance, pls consult Akai Pro as more deets are released in the coming days.